Sunday, August 28, 2016

Mystery Conventions, Toastmasters, And A Ride In The Big Leagues

Sometimes good stuff just falls into one's lap.


There is a whole world of mystery conventions, gatherings where mystery fans and mystery writers get together to meet each other and talk shop and trade stories about their favorite fictional whodunnit worlds.

These fun events tend to hop and skip around the U.S. and beyond. They are usually held in exciting places where fans and writers both will want to attend.

Some of the big ones are Bouchercon, Malice Domestic, Thrillerfest, and Left Coast Crime. These events are usually headlined by big names, writers who are, by most measures, far beyond me.

Imagine my delight when I was asked to be Toastmaster for Left Coast Crime 2018, which will be held March 22 - 25, 2018 in Reno.

This is an honor that is greater than anything I've experienced to date. Yes, my books have done well. I've gotten good reviews, and sales have been much better than I ever hoped for.

But past toastmasters for Left Coast Crime include writers like Lee Child, Harlan Coben, James Lee Burke, Rick Riordan, and Nevada Barr. Whoa, I'm getting to rub elbows with a group of heavy hitters.

I don't pretend to be in their league. But I'm going to be on their stage. How lucky is that?

For those who are interested, here's the link: http://www.leftcoastcrime.org/

This coming year, Left Coast Crime will be in Honolulu, March 16 - 19, 2017. I'll be there along with hundreds of mystery fans and mystery writers. Maybe you can come and join us?



Maybe you can also make plans to come to Reno in March of 2018. If so, you'll see me on stage, trying to earn my keep with the big names. I hope to see you there!






No comments:

Post a Comment