Sunday, August 2, 2015

What To Do In Tahoe? Whoa...


In my business as a writer of Tahoe mysteries, I often drive around Lake Tahoe, always appreciating its beauty, but sometimes missing the breadth of what it has to offer.



When you go to a vacation hotspot, you expect it to have fantastic recreation. When I think of the places we love to go, what comes to mind is usually three or four activities that are at the world class level. Surfing, scuba diving, beachcombing, fishing. Mountain biking, hiking, skiing. Canyon exploring, fossil hunting, photography.



In the last couple of days, as I went around the lake delivering books and doing signings of my new book in South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Reno, and Tahoe City, I made a note of the different kinds of outdoor recreational activities I saw from my car window. Here’s a list.



Road biking, mountain biking, kayaking, parasailing, water skiing, boogie boarding, kite skiing, hiking, running, beach walking, motorcycling, Jet skiing, sailing, general boating, paddle boarding, sail boarding, swimming, canoeing, climbing, volleyball, badminton, tennis, horseback riding, golfing, dog frisbee fetch, disc golf.



I saw arts activity: plein air painting, landscape photography, tai chi.



I saw people barbecuing at parks, on beaches, from condo balconies.



I saw people on restaurant decks taking in the view with their gourmet meals. I saw people tasting beer at brew pubs, sipping their ales under the high-altitude sun.

I saw people leaving on horseback trail rides and tour boats.



Of course, much of what Tahoe has to offer is out of view from the highway. Many people hike the mountains for gorgeous views from up above. Some first take the Heavenly gondola up 3000 feet to hike or ride the zip line up at 9500 feet, test themselves on the adventure ropes course, or go summer tubing. Some people ride the Squaw Valley Aerial Tram up to “High Camp” to swim in the pool or pursue geocaching, try the climbing wall, or go roller skating.


Some people take in a concert, a show, Shakespeare On The Beach. Others go for a moonlit sail.

When you consider the vast number of activities in Tahoe, it stands out as a one-of-a-kind destination. I can think of no other place on earth that offers so many outdoor recreational activities.


Want to learn more about your favorite activity. Just Google the activity with the word Tahoe in front of it. A great experience awaits.


No comments:

Post a Comment