Sunday, June 10, 2012

Can a Guy have Fun on a Tandem Kayak?


My buddy took me for my first ride in a kayak built-for-two. We rented it from Kayak Tahoe on the pier at the Timber Cove Lodge on the South Shore. They are one of several kayak rental services around the lake. They had lots of kayaks to choose from. Better still, the woman (from Down Under) who took care of us was very knowledgeable and helpful.
The weather was perfect, mid-70s, calm wind, and the water was OMG clear. We had a great time cruising the shoreline, the non-hypothermia swimming distance from shore should you happen swamp your craft.
Power boat and kayaks from shore cliff

Do I recommend a tandem? Oh, yeah. One hull with two paddlers means twice the power with less drag, which equates to fast. Although perhaps power isn't the word for our casual paddling and coasting.
Is there a downside to cramming two guys into one small, plastic boat? Not much. My buddy was driving, meaning he sat in the stern. With less steering control, I couldn't easily go where I wanted. And when I paused paddling to gawk at a bird or a snowfield on the Sierra Crest or something on the lake bottom 50 feet below, we'd clash paddles during our lame attempt to re-synch our strokes.
It was a fantastic escape from routine. We even spotted some lakeside houses I could probably live in if I had an extra 5 or 10 mill I didn't know what to do with. Of course, those pesky views of lake and snowcapped mountains would upstage every activity.
So come on up the mountain, and bring your Kayak or rent one. Cruising on the biggest, clearest, high-elevation lake in the northern hemisphere is an unforgettable experience.
Kayak Tahoe


No comments:

Post a Comment